Do you consent to receiving cookies? We use these to aid improving and maintaining our website.
Ginger Bread Men
Preparation time: 30-60 mins
Cooking time: 10-30 mins
350g plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1tsp ground cinnamon
175g brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon together and pour into a large bowl. Add the butter, blending it into the mix until your mix looks like bread crumbs. Now, stir in the sugar.
- Beat together the egg and golden syrup before adding to the bowl and stirring until the mixture begins to clump together.
- Tip your dough onto a board and knead until it is smooth, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 10-15 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Prepare your baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Lightly flour a chopping board or other hard surface. Roll out your dough to about half a centimetre’s thickness. Cut out your gingerbread men (or go wild and create stars, trees and all sorts of other Christmas shapes) and place them on a baking tray, leaving gaps between them.
Keep it simple: For a more traditional feel, keep it simple and use red, white and green writing icing.
Indulge your sweet-tooth: Use traditional cake decorations or some less traditional sweets to add some excitement to your gingerbread men.
Gingerbread snowmen: You can top your gingerbread men with desiccated coconut to create your own snowmen
A healthy option: Why not use fruit such as chopped up banana or blueberries as a healthy alternative to sweets?