Discover the joy of Easter baking with our delightful biscuit recipe! Enjoy the sweet smell of vanilla and spices as you bake up a batch of springtime treats.
300g One Stop Plain Flour, plus extra for dusting
150g Caster sugar
150g One Stop Salted Butter, chopped
1 One Stop Free Range large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
500g royal icing sugar
Your favourite food colouring gels
400g One Stop Strawberry jam
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a bowl, combine 250g of flour and 125g of sugar. Add 175g of butter and rub the mixture with your fingertips until it resembles damp sand.
- Add Wet Ingredients: Beat 1 egg with 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Add the egg mixture to the bowl and briefly mix with a knife. Use your hands to knead the dough into a disc. Don’t overwork it. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for at least 15 mins.
- Preheat and Prepare: Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll and Cut: Dust a work surface with flour. Halve the dough and roll one half to the thickness of a £1 coin. Use an egg-shaped cookie cutter to stamp out biscuits. Transfer them to a baking sheet, leaving space between. Repeat with the other half.
- Optional Jammy Biscuits: Use a small circular cutter to stamp holes in half of the biscuits. Bake for 12-15 mins until pale gold.
- Cool and Decorate: Cool on sheets for 10 mins, then transfer to a wire rack. Decorate with icing: Mix icing sugar with water to make a thick icing. Pipe an outline and add patterns. Let it dry for 10 mins. Divide remaining icing, dye with gels, and fill the spaces on the biscuits.
Allow to dry for a few hours.
- Jammy Middle Biscuits: Dust biscuits with holes with icing sugar. Spread jam or curd generously over the whole biscuits. Sandwich the dusted biscuits on top.
- Storage: Keep decorated biscuits in an airtight container for up to five days.