Treat the one you love to a delicious homemade and hearty brunch. This easy shakshuka recipe is healthy, filling and super easy to make, just throw everything together in a pan!
- 2 red onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 mixed-colour sweet peppers
- 2 x 400g tins of quality peeled plum tomatoes
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1/2 a bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley (15g)
- 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- Peel and slice the onions and garlic, then place in a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat with 1 tsp of oil. Add the cumin and cook until the onions have softened slightly, stirring regularly.
- Deseed and slice the peppers, add to the pan and cook until soft.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, fill an empty tin’s worth of water and add, break up the tomatoes up with a wooden spoon. Season a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, stir well then turn the heat down to low and leave to bubble away for 10 mins or until thickened and reduced.
- Spread the sauce out evenly in the pan, then use the back of a spoon to push and dig out 4 little pockets. Crack an egg into each one, then cover with a lid or tin foil and cook for 3-5 mins until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny or cook for longer, if you prefer.
- Roughly chop the parsley and scatter over the dish, and spoonful’s yogurt to the dish. Serve with bread or toast for a delicious Valentine’s brunch.