Bubble and Squeak
This classic British dish makes for a delicious lunch or dinner idea for two. Root vegetable mash replaces potato, lending extra sweetness and nutty flavour to the bubble and squeak. Super easy and ideal for a speedy midweek meal.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 100g spinach
- 1 x 425g pack root veg mash
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, plus extra for serving
- 20g butter
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan set over a low-medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened. Meanwhile, put the spinach in a colander and pour over a kettleful of freshly boiled water to wilt. Cool under the cold tap, then squeeze dry and roughly chop.
- In a bowl, combine the onion and garlic, root veg mash, paprika, spinach and a little seasoning. Mix well.
- In the same frying pan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Add the mash mixture in two halves, shaping into flattened patties with a spatula. Cook for 6-8 mins on each side, until golden and crisp.