Do you consent to receiving cookies? We use these to aid improving and maintaining our website.
Delicious Coffee Cake
A delicious, light and spongey coffee cake topped with a creamy coffee-flavoured icing. Great as an afternoon treat or a celebration cake.
For the cake
175g (6oz) unsalted butter
175g (6oz) caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
175g (6oz) self-raising flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp One Stop Freshly Ground Coffee
60g (2oz) hazelnuts, toasted, cooled and chopped
For the icing
150g (5oz) unsalted butter
250g icing sugar, sifted
2 tsp One Stop Freshly Ground Coffee, mixed with 1 tbsp hot water and cooled
40g (1 1/2oz) hazelnuts, halved, to decora
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Butter 2 x 20cm loose-bottomed tins and line with nonstick baking paper.
- Toast the hazelnuts on a baking tray for 5-6 minutes or until just golden, remove and set aside to cool. Once cooled, rub the hazelnuts lightly with a tea towel to remove the brown skin.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric hand whisk for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time and beat well between each addition. Then fold in the flour and baking powder using a large metal spoon. Mix the coffee powder with 1 tbsp of warm water and fold into the cake mix with the chopped hazelnuts.
- Divide the cake mix between the two prepared tins and smooth the surface flat. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean and the surface of the cake is slightly springy to touch.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely, about 10-15 more minutes.
- To make the icing, beat the butter together with the icing sugar and cold coffee until smooth. Sandwich the cooled cakes with half of the filling and then cover the top with the rest of the filling and decorate with the chopped hazelnuts.