Easter Carrot Cupcakes
These carrot cake cupcakes are the perfect Easter bake! Sticky and gooey, combined with a heavenly cream cheese icing – share with friends and family, or simply eat them all yourself.
For the cupcakes
3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
100g soft light brown sugar
80g unsalted butter, softened
80g Golden syrup
2 medium eggs
150g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
For the icing
50g unsalted butter, softened
110g low-fat cream cheese
225g icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
Sprinkle with crushed walnuts for decoration
20 mins to prepare and 50 mins to cook
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a 12-tin cupcake tray with 8-10 cupcake cases.
- Combine the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a large saucepan and melt together over a medium heat, stirring to combine. Remove from the heat, then stir in the self-raising flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, ground cinnamon, grated carrot and eggs. Mix well until you have a smooth batter.
- Spoon the mix into the cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen (make sure you insert a cake tester and it comes out clean from the centre when inserted). Remove when ready and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Prepare the icing by combining the butter, cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla extract together in a large mixing bowl. Beat using an electric whisk until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag. Once the cupcakes are cool, pipe the icing on top in a swirl. Sprinkle with crushed walnuts for decoration if you wish.