Do you consent to receiving cookies? We use these to aid improving and maintaining our website.
Homemade Italian Florentine Pizza
Spinach, tomato and Parma ham sit beautifully on this traditional pizza, topped with a perfectly cooked egg – this classic Italian Florentine pizza recipe is vibrant, fresh and perfect for a delicious dinner to share.
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 x 240g bag baby spinach, wilted
125g (4oz) mozzarella ball, torn
200g grated cheddar cheese
1 x 250g bag grated mozzarella
1 x 88g pack Parma ham, torn
For the pizza dough:
500g (1lb) strong bread flour
1 tsp caster sugar
2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- To make the pizza dough, mix the flour, sugar, 2 tsp salt, and yeast in a bowl. Stir in the oil and add about 300ml lukewarm water to make a soft, but not sticky dough.
- Tip onto a floured work surface and knead for 10 mins. Transfer to a clean bowl, cover with oiled clingfilm and set aside to prove in a warm place for 1 hr, or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, cook the tomatoes in a pan until thickened and reduced; season well. Preheat the oven to its highest setting. Divide the dough into 4 and shape each into a ball. Roll out thinly and put on 4 baking sheets lined with nonstick baking paper.
- Spread each base with tomato sauce, then scatter over the spinach, cheddar, mozzarella and ham. Bake, in batches if needed, for 8 mins.
- Crack an egg in the centre of each pizza. Continue baking for 2-3 mins more, until the egg is just set and the crust is crisp.