Homemade Italian Florentine Pizza
Spinach, tomato and Parma ham sit beautifully on this traditional pizza, topped with a perfectly cooked egg – this classic Italian Florentine pizza recipe is vibrant, fresh and perfect for a delicious dinner to share.
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 x 240g bag baby spinach, wilted
125g (4oz) mozzarella ball, torn
200g grated cheddar cheese
1 x 250g bag grated mozzarella
1 x 88g pack Parma ham, torn
For the pizza dough:
500g (1lb) strong bread flour
1 tsp caster sugar
2 x 7g sachets dried yeast
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- To make the pizza dough, mix the flour, sugar, 2 tsp salt, and yeast in a bowl. Stir in the oil and add about 300ml lukewarm water to make a soft, but not sticky dough.
- Tip onto a floured work surface and knead for 10 mins. Transfer to a clean bowl, cover with oiled clingfilm and set aside to prove in a warm place for 1 hr, or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, cook the tomatoes in a pan until thickened and reduced; season well. Preheat the oven to its highest setting. Divide the dough into 4 and shape each into a ball. Roll out thinly and put on 4 baking sheets lined with nonstick baking paper.
- Spread each base with tomato sauce, then scatter over the spinach, cheddar, mozzarella and ham. Bake, in batches if needed, for 8 mins.
- Crack an egg in the centre of each pizza. Continue baking for 2-3 mins more, until the egg is just set and the crust is crisp.