Mexican Chicken Fajitas
Classic chicken fajitas are an absolute tea time winner, and this easy fajita recipes means you can be tucking into soft tortillas filled with tasty chicken, sweet peppers and creamy guacamole.
For the spicy chicken:
2 limes, rinsed
1tbsp olive oil
480g chicken breast fillets
4 peppers (red, green, yellow and orange)
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
For the guacamole:
2 ripe avocados
1 small clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
8 cherry tomatoes, washed and quartered
- Make the marinade for the chicken by grating the lime zest into a shallow bowl. Cut the limes in half. Squeeze the juice from 3 halves into the bowl. Add the cayenne pepper and olive oil. Mix well. Add the chicken. Leave for 10 minutes.
- Cut each pepper in half and pull out the core and stalk to deseed. Cut into thin slices and place in a mixing bowl. Peel and thinly slice the onion. Add to the peppers, with garlic and oil and mix. Leave until ready to cook.
- To make the guacamole first cut the avocados in half. Remove the stones and scoop out the flesh. Gently mash with a fork to make a lumpy purée. Stir in the garlic with the juice from the remaining half lime and the cayenne pepper. Stir the cherry tomatoes into the guacamole
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally until the pieces are browned and cooked through (usually about 7 minutes). There should be no trace of pink flesh and the juices must run clear. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Stir-fry the pepper mix for 2 minutes until it is lightly coloured but still crunchy. Wrap the chicken, guacamole and peppers in the warm tortillas.
320g pack flour tortillas, warmed as per packet instructions