A perfect picnic snack that’s super easy to make.
4 eggs, plus 1 egg white
400g pack pork sausages
1 tbsp English mustard
2 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
25g golden breadcrumbs
25g fresh breadcrumbs
1 litre vegetable oil
- Put the eggs into a pan of boiling water, ensuring they are fully covered. Cook for 6 minutes then place in ice-cold water.
- Squeeze the sausage meat out of the skins and into a bowl. Mix in the mustard.
- Carefully remove the shell from the eggs. Line up 3 bowls. In one put flour, in another put lightly whisked egg white, and in the third put the golden and fresh breadcrumbs mixed together.
- Dust an egg in flour, then take a handful of sausage meat and pat into your hand. Place the egg on top and mould the sausage meat around the egg until covered in an even layer. Shape into a ball.
- Coat the ball in flour, dip in egg white then fully coat with breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan to medium-hot, or until breadcrumbs dropped in sizzle on contact with the oil. Carefully lower each Scotch egg into the oil and cook for 6 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Leave to cool before serving.