Tuna Pasta Bake
This tuna pasta bake recipe is just the type of meal you want to tuck into on a busy weeknight. Using store cupboard ingredients, it’s full of tuna chunks and veg in a creamy cheese sauce, plus quick and easy to make – a great all-round budget-friendly dish.
- 350g penne pasta
- 150g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 125g frozen sweetcorn
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- 100g mature Cheddar, grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 x 160g tins tuna chunks in spring water, drained
- 120g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10g Parmesan, finely grated
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Cook the pasta following pack instructions, adding the broccoli and sweetcorn to the pan for the last 3 mins of cooking or until the broccoli is just tender. Drain well, reserving 100ml of the cooking water, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and use a wooden spoon to stir in the flour to make a smooth paste. Cook for 1 min, then gradually whisk in the milk to make a thick white sauce. Bubble over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened slightly. Stir in a little of the Cheddar along with the mustard and season well.
- Add the cooked pasta, broccoli, sweetcorn and tuna to the white sauce and stir well. Add a little of the reserved cooking water if the sauce seems too thick and stir until it is the desired consistency. Gently stir through half the cherry tomatoes.
- Spoon into a large baking dish and smooth the surface. Scatter with the remaining grated Cheddar and the Parmesan.
- Top with the remaining cherry tomatoes and grill for 5-6 mins or until the cheese on top is golden and melted, and the dish is piping hot throughout. Serve immediately.