Chicken Chow Mein (Chinese Fakeaway)
You must try this Chow mein fakeaway recipe with a side of Egg fried rice. You won’t be able to tell the difference!
For the sauce…
Small piece of fresh root ginger
2 garlic cloves
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
For the noodles…
1 large red pepper
5 spring onions
2 small chicken breasts
3 nests of medium egg noodles
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1. Use a potato peeler to remove the skin from the ginger. Then carefully grate 1 tbsp from the root. Crush the garlic and add into a bowl with the ketchup, oyster sauce, soy sauce and 3 tbsp water and stir together.
2. Cut the pepper into quarters. Remove the seeds and stalk. Then slice into strips. Cut the ends off the spring onions and slice lengthways. Cut the chicken into bite size chunks.
3. Boil a large pan of water on the hob. When the water is boiling, add in the noodles and turn off the heat, cook for 4 minutes then drain.
4. Heat the wok and add the sunflower oil and chicken. When the chicken is nearly cooked, add in the peppers and stir-fry for a further minute.
5. Pour the sauce mixture into the wok and stir well until bubbling.
6. Finally, add the noodles, beansprouts and onions and toss them in the sauce until well coated. Stir constantly until the beansprouts wilt.
Serve and enjoy.