Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas (Chip Shop Fakeaway)
We’ve got the perfect fakeway recipe for you, crunchy battered Cod with homemade Chips and a side of mushy Peas. Perfect for the whole family!
For the fish
1 thick cod piece
225g self-raising flour
salt and ground black pepper
300ml sparkling water
For the chips
2-4 large floury potatoes, we recommend Maris piper potatoes
Vegetable oil (for frying)
For the Mushy Peas
300g frozen peas
4 tbsp double cream
1 tbsp butter
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C and preheat the oil to 120°C (if you do not have a fryer use a pan with vegetable oil in, it does the same job)
2. For the chips, peel the potatoes and cut into long chunks. Rinse them in cold water, drain and pat dry. Put the potatoes into the oil and allow them to fry gently for about 8-10 minutes. Take them out the pan and leave to cool on greaseproof paper.
3. Increase the temperature of the fryer to 180°C.
4. Season the fish with salt and pepper and dust lightly with flour (this ensures the batter sticks to the fish.)
5. To make the batter, sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl and whisk in the sparkling water. (Tip: add a little more sparkling water if the batter seems to thick.) Season with salt and thickly coat the fillet with the batter. Carefully place in the hot oil and cook for 8-10 minutes until crispy. Remove from the pan, drain and place on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.
6. Now place the chips back in the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Pat dry the chips to get rid of any access oil.
7. Now time for the mushy peas. Boil a small saucepan of water and add a pinch of salt. Add the frozen peas and boil for 3-4 Minutes. Drain the peas and add contents to a blender along with the butter, double cream and salt and pepper. Blend until thick and chunky.
8. Serve with a slice of bread and butter for the ultimate takeaway fish and chips at home.