Zesty Lemon Tart
Indulge yourself with this delicious zesty lemon tart.
100g unsalted butter
100g icing sugar
250g plain flour
2 medium eggs, separated, yolks and whites beaten
3 lemons, zested and juiced
110g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
175ml double cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together your unsalted butter and icing sugar until softened. Stir in the flour and a pinch of salt, then add 2 egg yolks with 1 tbsp water and continue mixing, being careful not to overwork it. Shape the dough into a round circles, then wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Dust a clean surface with flour. Roll out the pastry to 3mm. Put a 25cm tart tin on a baking tray and line with the pastry. Prick the base all over then freeze for 30 mins before cutting off the excess pastry. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Ensure that your pastry is smooth then place in the oven for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and brush with egg whites and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes. Leave the pastry to cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C. For the filling, put your lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Add the caster sugar and 4 medium eggs, then gently whisk until combined. Sieve the mixture back into the bowl, then add your double cream and lemon zest.
- Gently pour the mixture over the pastry until filled. Place back in the oven for 40-45 minutes until cooked.
- Finally leave out to cool in a warm place and the serve with a dusting of icing sugar.